Meet James Patrick (J.P.) Blecksmith 2nd Lieutenant, USMC: 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines September 26, 1980 – November 11, 2004 (Fallujah, Iraq) J.P. had unflappable integrity and perseverance – traits that almost made him destined to be a Marine. He was…
WHAT IS A GOLD STAR FAMILY?The term "Gold Star" describes a family member who has lost a loved one in military service. The Gold Star first made an appearance during World War I after being placed over a service flag's blue star when a service member was killed in combat. The Gold Star signified the family's pride in the loved one's sacrifice rather than the mourning of their personal loss. Many Gold Star families wear the Gold Star lapel pin to signify their pride. The lapel pin displays a Gold Star with a purple background surrounded by a gold wreath and first made its appearance during World War I.
- Mike’s 7,100 KM Hike Across America completed at the 2014 Army/Navy Game
- Paying a visit to Fallen Solider Stephen Chase Prasnicki.
- Co Founders Mike and Mark hike their way into North Carolina.
- Gold Star Families Signing our flag as the march on to honor those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.
- The team of course had get a Crossfit workout in. Thanks for having us Crossfit Hightide!
- Mike’s Wife Laura made her way out to Alabama to cover some ground and keep her husband company.
- Paying a visit to our Fallen Heroes who lay at rest in Mississippi.
- Gaining more signatures as Mike walked through Louisiana
- On September 11th 2014 Mike’s Hiking for Heroes team walked 70 miles in under 24 hours. May we Never Forget!
- Just a small obstacle on the route in New Mexico . . . but with a beautiful sky like that who can complain?
- Snakes on the Highway in Arizona. Although it was expected it was not welcomed!
- Fishing while Swimming the Mississippi sounded like a good idea.
- Hitting the crossroads of three amazing states
- Thank you to the Minnesota having us out to meet and connect with 250 Gold Star Families
- Chris Ring and his journey to swim the Mississippi begins
- Aloha and Mahalo!
- Another Flag Full of our Fallen Heroes Names
- Dinner and wonderful time spent with a Gold Star Family
- Thank you to the 49ers for opening up their home
- The Annual BCCI Gun Bash in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Signing the Flag…We love our Gold Star Families
- Mike’s Hiking for Heroes journey starts around the country